Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Day 6/7

Our six+ hour drive to Lafayette, Louisiana via I-20 and then South at Shreveport on I-49 turned into an eight hour drive.  I sometimes forget I only have a one hour bladder, and we do need to eat occasionally.
Got to Maxie's campground and right away I knew I'd picked the wrong place.  100 yards from the railroad track and just off the main highway.  NO WAY!
So, off to KOA usually my last choice.
We stayed Saturday night and then Sunday morning I called Bayou Wilderness Campgrounds.  They had great reviews and they were really out in the Bayou,  Quite and well taken care of.  The bathrooms were spotless.  We had found our resting place for the next two days.
We met Sherry and Steve, my daughter and son-in-law, for lunch at Prejean's.  I ordered the blacken catfish.  Excellent.
We spent the rest of the afternoon just visiting with Sherry and Steve.  Did I mention how much I love my family?
We had a well deserved rest Sunday night.  Watch a DVD and just relaxed.
Next morning, Monday, Sherry took us to McGee's Landing and a wonderful swamp tour.
My first experience on an air boat.  It's hard to believe that before the Army Corps of Engineers build the levee system in the Atchafalaya Basin that families actually lived in the swamp.  They lived off the land, or in this case water and some never saw a town.  After the levee's were built the water level in the basin fluctuated too much for the families to remain and they either moved to one of the surrounding towns or left the basin for another part of the swamp.  Yes, there are still places where people live in the swamp.  Some have no contact with the outside world and some only speak Cajun.
Our guide did his best to find us an alligator.  Unfortunately they just weren't sunning themselves this particular day.
After the tour we ate lunch at the restaurant.  Po Boy sandwiches.  Cheryl had a shrimp po boy and I had Cajun sausage.  I'm going to weigh 300 lbs by the time this trip is over.
We had a nice visit with Sherry for the rest of the afternoon and then she had to leave.  Did you know she actually had to go to bed early so she could get up at 4:00 AM to go to work?  Terrible.  How do people live like that?
Another peaceful night.  No loud neighbors, trains or air brakes on semi's.




.
This is one of the Air Boats 

Cypress trees
An outboard would never make it through here

One of the many channels
Here's the only 'gator we saw

A hunting blind. For real!


No comments:

Post a Comment